I decided upon the image of the week based of the recent protests against the cyanide mining at Rosia Montana in Romania. Rosia Montana is a commune in Alba County. It is located in the Valea Rosiei, through which the Rosia River flows. The rich mineral resources of the area have been exploited since Roman times or before. The state-run gold mine closed in late 2006 in advance of Romania’s accession to the EU. Gabriel Resources of Canada plan to open a new mine. This has caused controversy on one hand over the extent to which remains of Roman mining would be preserved and over fears of a repeat of the cyanide pollution at Baia Mare and on the other, over the benefits that mining would bring to this poor and underdeveloped part of the country. According to some reports, the project would use as much as 12,000 tons of cyanide annually, which is more than any mining project in Europe, a quantity that would not only infect the waters and the land there, but in the whole Romania and all the other Balkan countries in a mere 15-20 years from the starting of the project. It would be one of the biggest ecological disasters of all time, leaving a country dry and dead. Over the last 11 days people started to protest, gathering 1000-3000 people each day, culminating with over 15 000 on Sunday afternoon in a huge march through more neighborhoods. The protests started as the government decided to vote a special expropriation law to get the people at Rosia Montana out of their houses so the mining project could start. This law breaks constitutional laws. It breaks property laws for the people in Rosia Montana, heritage laws and clean environment laws.
This is just another example how people decide to kill this planet for money, leaving only distruction and deaths behind.
The simplicity of this image by creativeapril carries the message of how simple it would all be if we all united for a better future, our future, the next generations future.
What’s so great about this image?
1. It has a very simple composition with a powerful message, of protection.
2. It has a lot of copy space where you can write your own messages, of even complete it with your own drawings.
3. It can be used as two different images, by cutting the “Protect me” sign out of the image. So we have a simple background with grass and another one with the message and the butterfly.
4. The message “Protect me” is in a word bubble case, making it look like the nature – represented by the grass – is sending the message to us.
5. The design of the butterfly makes it look like green leaves, showing that everything is part of nature, all living things, that we must protect in order to keep the harmony and our own health.
6. The colors are simple and calming, making the image very positive.
7. It raises awareness about ecology and the stay green concept.
How could we use it?
- Environmental and ecological campaigns.
- Inspirational posters to be put on walls inside your house, office or even in a pub/restaurant/club.
- The main image for an activism campaign.
- Website and blog wallpapers and layouts.
- For magazine covers and articles regarding the current situation with pollution and ecology’s place in saving the earth as we know it.
- Book and magazines covers, also as a main image for an article in newspapers, magazines, blog, etc.
- Outdoor adverts.