I like to see photography as a form of art and evaluate it from this point of view. The image of the week is a proof that I am not the only one! It is called Superhero businessman and it belongs to stokkete. And now, I almost can hear the comments: what’s so artistic in this picture? would you put it on the wall in your living room?
But first of all, let’s see what art means! According to the dictionary, art is the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
In other words, is this image appealing? Is it beautiful? Is it of more than ordinary significance? I would say “yes”.
Of course, we have to keep in our minds that we are talking now about microstock photography. It has to be commercial. too. So, we have to add more questions in order to evaluate it: is it commercial? how could it be used?
But what I find really great at this image is the fact that made me realize we can use a figure of speech in order to create a great picture. In this case, the metaphor!
According to wikipedia, the metaphor describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object. Metaphor is a type of analogy and is closely related to other rhetorical figures of speech that achieve their effects via association, comparison or resemblance including allegory, hyperbole and simile. In simpler terms, a metaphor compares two objects or things without using the words “like” or “as”.
So, it’s exactly what we see in “Superhero businessman“: a nice appealing posture of a businessman, meant to express that a successful one should have the qualities of a superhero, in order to succeed. I would dare even more and say that under our daily clothes and appearance, we should all have the tough qualities of a superhero in order to succeed…
What’s so great about this picture?
- It’s catchy and appealing as indeed consists of an unusual posture of a businessman!
- It’s built on a metaphor, through the surprising association of two different concepts: the formal business person and the fantastic characters with superpower!
- The topic is actual and needed, the business category being actually a favorite one in the search of our customers.
- The colors are cool, giving a sensation of “energy” and freshness.
- It has copy space, the dark gray background being excellent to add some red or white fonts on.
- The model is anonymous even if he is the main subject. So we could easily see ourselves in his own posture.
- It’s a great example of excellent photo editing!
How could we use it?
- the advert for products as: energy drinks, vitamins, coffee
- the image of a head-hunting agency or of an any article related to high level jobs
- a motivational poster on the wall of a fitness center/health club
- a billboard advert for business clothing brands
- indoor/outdoor adverts for male fragrances
- the cover image for: marketing and business books, magazines dedicated to men